Australian homes are all too familiar with ants. Ants are critical players in maintaining the ecosystem in your garden. However, you have to agree that it can be a pain when they terrorise your home’s insides.
Thankfully, there are a few DIY tips and tricks that you can try out to rid your home of ant infestations.
Ants are probably the most common pests that homeowners struggle with. How to get rid of them? These DIY tips can help alleviate your home of ants.
Keep Food Properly Stored
The most natural precaution against ants is to keep food and leftover sugary treats properly stored in sealed containers. Free you home from crumbs and food stacks to remove any possible food source for ants.
Address the Problem at the Source
One way to get rid of ants the natural way is to find their home and attack at the source.
- Locate the ant nest that may be in crevices in your home or garden and use a spade to create a hole,
- Pour boiling water into the hole you dug and repeat until no more ants are surfacing from the nest.
Keep in mind to wear protective clothing to prevent pesky ant bites.
Homemade Ant Trap
Finding their nest isn’t always an easy task. You can create a simple concoction that the ants can carry to their nest.
- Mix a tablespoon of peanut butter with two tablespoons of Borax and sugar, and add a teaspoon of water,
- Place a small portion near active ants,
- The ants will ingest the bait and bring it back to their nest, killing the colony.
How to Permanently Get Rid of Ants
The effectiveness of these DIY tips often varies depending on the type of ants that plague your home. More often, natural extermination and precautions are short-term band-aid solutions.
If you want a more long-term and permanent solution to your pesky ant problems, you can hire a professional ant control service like Rockypest to regularly treat your home. Engaging a professional exterminator is the best way to protect your home from ant and other insect infestations.